Sunday, March 4, 2007

These are the days...

Well, I woke up this morning and my eye wouldn't open. Yep. I have pinkeye. I look like someone stabbed me in the eye with a fire poker. Oh, well. Looks like the coke-bottle glasses for a while. But that's not what this post is about. I interned this past week at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo (HLSR) as a techie. It was so incredible! I met so many facinating people, laughed a lot, worked more, and slept in the Hilton. I worked expensive TV cameras (cutting horses and cattle shows, I looooove Brahmans!), worked in the studio in the control room, and met some "big-wigs" that make the livestock show run. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed myself, and I can't wait to go back (Thursday night!!!!). All of Spring Break, baby! It's going to be such a learning experience, as it has been already. Lessons learned: When in doubt, just ask, you look less dumb that way; If you know what you are doing, do it well, and teach others to do it just as well; smile, it might not be as bad as you think it might be; enjoy your co-workers, you know they're funny! Saying something kind to someone doesn't have to be limited to your counterparts or subordinates, it can impress some pretty high-end folks. I knew most of this already, but it was really applied! The stuff the Corps and college teaches you isn't complete BS! (I really was surprised). What you learn in a book might be imperative, but so are people skills, networking, and common sense. Aside from all this stuff, God has been working on me to keep Him as the focus in my life. Things have just been so wonderful lately, I need reminders that God is responsible for it all, not me. If anyone has any suggestions on keeping my focus where it should be, let me know. On another note, why can't you just walk up to somebody and say, "Hey, you're awesome, we should date?" Hmmmm... perhaps that is a tad awkward...but hey, having a crush is fun(-:

2 comments:

mom said...

this is the 3rd time I have left this comment--I am so very thrilled that you are playing to and enjoying your strenghts so very much. I love the idea and so do the average person love positive reinforcement that is honest!! It leaves you used to saying what is real and lets you be honest again when you have something hard and honest to tell someone and often they appreciate it but even if they don't at least you have said it!! Hey I am glad your eyes are better I love that you are willing to allow God to heal you in His time..

MissAdaptation said...

Hey, I'm so glad you have my pic in your blog! I've been really busy puking all over kingdome come, especially my mom. But, I'll send you some new pics soon.
Love, your cousin Duncan.